Monday, June 16, 2014

The final days

Thurs, 6/12
Start: Barbadelo
End: Portomarin
Distance: 20.07 km

Fri, 6/13
Start: Portomarin
End: Palas de Rei
Distance: 27.07 km

Sat, 6/14
Start: Palas de Rei
End: Arzua
Distance: 32.44km

Sun, 6/15
Start: Arzua
End: Monte de Gozo
Distance: 38.89 km

Not much has happened in the last four days. We have been in double digits with the distance for the last 4 days. It's crazy to think that we are so close. 

It's getting closer and closer which brings mixed emotions. First and foremost, it's exciting. After walking 785km, or just short of 500 miles, it's exciting to be here. We are in Monte de Gozo and I can see the outskirts of Santiago. It's incredible to see it and to think how far we have come. It's something I believe everyone is capable of doing but actually doing it is incredible. The excitement can be seen throughout. No longer are stops at cafes just rests, but everyone is always cheery regardless of time, taking photos with friends and just enjoying themselves. At times, this was difficult to do before now. I'm also happy I'm almost done, my body more so. I'm aching, tired, and sore. But I'm not broken and able to walk every day. To me, that's a good day on the Camino. It's impossible not to have pains on this journey. I'm happy because we're done and for the same reasons I'm excited. Its a bit nervewracking as well. How will Santiago be? How will I truly feel when I'm standing in front of the cathedral? At the pilgrim mass? As I get my compostela? It's a range of emotions and definitely an unknown. Finally, it's sad. Ive met a ton of amazing people who were great for a conversation, for advice, encouragement, inspiration, or simply a good time. Often these categories overlap. It's sad to end something that has been a daily routine for the last month. 

To wrap up, it's definitely interesting here in the closing stretch. Grabbing contact info, capturing friendships and memories, trying to gather the energy to make that final push, whatever you want to say there; regardless my journey will end tomorrow. 

I will not be continuing on by foot to Finisterre, the Camino Finisterre, and the end of the world. I came  to complete the Camino de Santiago which I shall do tomorrow. Unfortunately, I cant put more stress on the body and therefore I will meet my friends go on via bus in three days time. It's crazy to think I'll be taking a bus, or any vehicle really, to travel. It will take me no time at all to travel 90km where in the last month that could take me up to 4 days. 

I currently don't have wifi, but hope to post this before I arrive in Santiago. Regardless, I will be posting my thoughts and events that occur in Santiago upon my arrival. I am going to take a day to reflect on my arrival and post my thoughts on Tuesday or Wednesday. On Thursday, I go to Finisterre and then Friday to Barcelona for a long needed and deserved break to be a true tourist. During that time, I plan to write a recap/review/thoughts on my entire Camino experience. 

Finally, I know a few who follow this blog don't have access to my social media profiles where some photos are and will be. Don't worry, I hope to have all of the photos reviewed, edited, and hosted within a week of my return to the States and will host these on social media as well as a photo sharing site so everyone can view them. 

Well, I'm off to bed to recover, relax, and prepare for my arrival to Santiago which will be a simple 5km, 3.1 miles, "walk in the park" tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment