Sunday, June 1, 2014

The Last Three Days (for real)

I feel the need to clarify and explain myself about the busegrinos. For those of you unaware what a busegrino is, look back at previous posts. For me, there's a difference between a bus tour and a pilgrim taking a bus. The bus tour where you go town to town bothers me. However, there are pilgrims who bus or take a taxi for part of the Camino. This may be for physical reasons, such as injury, fatigue, or inability to walk the entire way, or simply it's a matter of time. Everyone gets to Santiago in their own time and manner. Therefore, I see no problems with using a vehicle to get to another town. But to bus the entire way in a "tour" package is what troubles me. 

Anywho, back to the thoughts

5/30
Start: Corríon de las Condes
End: Ledigos
Distance: 26.04 km

1. 17km start

Were in the Meseta which is nothing. So, we have the luxury to walk 17 km to the next town. Imagine Kansas, or a flat wheat field, and then walk straight with that to your right and left. Do that for 17 km, or approximately 11 miles, with no houses, food, water, or anything. I'd probably pass someone every 45 minutes, or theyd pass me. There was no shade or benches. It was definitely a mental challenge.

2. Pack weight

Since there were no stops, you had to carry enough water and food for emergencies. It's crazy how much weight some peanuts, two bananas and some meat can add. I've grown accustomed to the weight but the addition of the food was surprising cause I could feel it. 

3. The race for beds

Sometimes it feels like you're racing for a bed each day which is annoying. Some days you have to worry about not have a place to stay and keep walking. So far, we've been close but not actually been without a bed

4. Midpoint

We got to the mileage halfway point. It's crazy to think that we are halfway and it's been 390 km.

5/31
Start: Ledigos
End: Bercianos del Real Camino
Distance: 29 km

1.  Ran into Art and Greg

They are retired friends from Columbus, Ohio who we ran into about a week ago. They had some leg issues and needed to bus ahead to stay on schedule. It was great to run into them and catch up. I had dinner with them both and they are a wealth of knowledge. 

2. Relatively easy day

It was still difficult but on the easier side. 

3. Feet in bad shape

You'll just have to see the photo. My feet dont look good. They've got blisters and my ankle isn't ideal. But I can walk and I am doing fine. I guess that's the price you pay or walking 390km

4. Geographical midpoint

Today was the geographical midpoint which I don't know what the difference between the geographical midpoint and the mileage midpoint. Anyway, were halfway.

Midpoint reflection

It's hard to think it's halfway. I don't know how to put it in words. I'm glad it's halfway. Were almost done. It's promising. Yet, it's still 390km away. Kinda daunting. We've got mountains to climb still. It will still be challenging. While my routine is now the norm, I can't say that it's getting easier. It's still a challenge every day. Some days mentally, others physically. Regardless, I'm happy I'm doing this. I expect to finish, both God and body willing. It can and will be done. I'm on schedule which is good and a bit surprising. 

6/1
Start: Bercianos del Real Camino
End: Mansilla de las Mulas
Distance:  29km

1. It was 13 km into a vast walk of nothing between towns. Before that, it was 7 km. Not very fun or exciting but hey what can you do. 

2. My feet are worse. That is all

3. We go into Leon tomorrow and will have a rest day the following day. It will be needed on all levels

1 comment:

  1. Greg,
    Wanted to let you know that I have been keeping you in my prayers as you have been completing your pilgrimage and it makes me excited every time I see a new post. I have told many many a friend and coworker about your pilgrimage and I know there are many people who have not met you and are following along with your camino. Keep it going through the last half of journey and remember there are many people who are keeping you in their thoughts and prayers and rooting for you from a far! Incredibly proud of you!
    Peace,
    Louie Feagans

    ReplyDelete