Friday, June 6, 2014

Two days ago

Tues, 6/2
Start: Leon
End: Leon
Distance: 6.37 km

1. Sleeping in

Since we stayed in a private hostal which was a room with three beds, we got the luxury of good night sleep with no snoring (seriously, some people can be impressive) and didn't have to leave until 12. So we slept in til 830! Then lounged around until we had to leave and went to an albergue

2. Lounging around Leon basically consisted of moving from plaza to plaza just relaxing, eating some pinchos, having a drink or two, and just relaxing with other pilgrims in Leon. Pilgrims are pretty easy to spot due to their physical ailments which affect how they move as well as their physical apparel. It's kind of funny really. 

3. Overall impression of Leon

Since we took the day off, it really allowed us to enjoy Leon. Personally, it has been my favorite city so far. I don't really know why I liked it more than Burgos or Pamplona, but I do. Maybe it's the layout, the people, or perhaps the timing. 

4. While I enjoyed the day off and it was much needed, it definitely felt unusual not walking to a new place. As a result, we've ran into a bunch of new people and old friends have caught up. My body is happy that I took the day off. It definitely feels better but at the same time, not a 100%. I think it was necessary to let my body relax a day, yet it will still have it's aches and pains every day til I'm done.

Wed, 6/3
Start: Leon
End: Villar de Mazarife
Distance: 26.41 km

1. Poco a poco

We are getting there. Little by little. I remember hearing Chambao's song before I left to study abroad and basically it translates to little by little. That's how you have to approach it. It's literally just putting one foot in front of the other and taking it a step at a time.

Which brings me to my next point

1a. 

It's interesting to see the change between end locations for the day. This change is with pretty much everyone. It's no longer, I need to get to Astorga, for example. It has changed, especially when asked to the typical response, "whenever I can't walk anymore and my legs give out". While the general intenerary everyone has is still important, most have came to the realization that our body's are the timeline/stopwatch. We now go as far as our body will take us and hope it's the stop on our itenerary

2. Relaxing walk 

It was an easy day where it was short and seemed to go by quick. I didn't hurt and was feeling good. I guess the rest day helped

3. Getting lost

We took a wrong turn. The signs were misleading. Regardless, we were put on the scenic route which added to our distance tomorrow but didn't really hurt us nor was an issue. It worked out though. We ran into people that we hadn't seen in a long time (a few days, but that is actually a long time here) and were able to catch up with them. Often times, when you pass someone or take a rest day, it is highly possible that you won't see them again. That's why it's awesome to run into people again. While it made the next day longer, it was worth it in the long run (and wasn't against a highway). 

No comments:

Post a Comment