Wednesday, June 18, 2014

My Reflection on the Camino Francés

I came. I saw. I conquered. Or something like that. I arrived in Santiago on Monday, June 16. 795km later (according to my book), I have arrived. I have arrived to Santiago de Compostela exhausted both physically and mental, along with some bumps, bruises, and sprains but regardless, I have arrived unbroken.

Like I said, according to the book, I started this incredible journey 795km (492.9mi) ago while the Compostela says 775km  (480.5mi) ago and then my friend Nilanj used his GPS tracking app to measure distance that came out to 896.07km (555.5mi). Now these distances vary due to the distances between albergues, going off the path for a different one or a coffee, etc. Regardless of the "number", I know how far I have walked these last 33 days. My boots look like they could fall apart, my pack is no longer heavy, nor does it look new. The distance really doesnt matter, all that matters is that I am here in Santiago, sitting at a cafe outside of the cathedral relaxing.

I've made a great number of friends throughout this trip. I have had incredible experiences with these friends. From sharing meals, to the pains of walking 30km (18.3mi) a day, to the joys of arriving. I've also lost things such as my poles, my watch, and contact with friends since we all walk at our own pace to our own schedule. Throughout all of this, it has been truly an incredible and amazing experience.

It's crazy to think that it's been 33 days since I started (really 35 now). It seems so long ago when I think about it. Maybe that's because of the distance travelled. Or perhaps due to the struggles that came peppered throughout the trek. Possibly it's due to the fact that when you run into someone along the way, you may not have seen them for two or three weeks since you both went off "schedule". As often as it happens, I think that is the reminder of the time.

But I can't say it's seemed long.  The days, the villages, and towns all tend to blur together. At times, I couldn't tell you the day of the week, what the date was, or where I slept two days ago. That doesn't take away from any of those days. A picture, the name of the town or the person I met can and will jog my memory.

I arrived to Santiago with an easy 5km (3.1mi) hike relatively downhill and through suburban Santiago. It was definitely nice. The day before we pushed 40km (24.8mi) to be able to do this. There I saw my first glimpse of Santiago. It was a relief. As we got closer, it wasn't until we were probably 20 minutes away when you could see the cathedral which is impressive even though the front (arguably the most impressive) facade is under renovation.

My friends and I went to get our Compostela which signifies that you have completed the Camino de Santiago and a certificate that stated that we walked from St Jean Pied de Port and a total of 775km. Finally we went to the monastery of St Francis of Assisi. This was founded 800 years ago when St. Francis himself made his pilgrimage to Santiago. They were giving out a certificate to commemorate this. Finally, we took a few laps of the cathedral before we attended the pilgrims mass.

The mass was very nice. It was done in Spanish and there were pilgrims that we had seen throughout the trip. It was a wonderful service in a beautiful cathedral.

Sitting here and arriving brings interesting thoughts. Primarily, it feels anticlimactic. What's next? Don't get me wrong, it's amazing here and I'm enjoying every minute of it. It's been great just sitting in plazas relaxing and watching other groups come in and see the joy and happiness that comes with the arrival. Yet, we are all thinking, what next? I guess that comes with the territory of a daily routine for 33 days that didn't change without fail. Wake up, walk, eat a bit, walk, get a drink, walk, eat and drink, sleep, repeat. But I think that is the journey and the part that was enjoyable and fun. It was great to do that daily routine with my new friends. It was great to have the alone time while walking for contemplation and reflection. The end of every journey tends to be anticlimactic and you wonder whats next. I think it's a very fitting way to end this type of trek. You spend a month or so walking towards this goal; and by the time you get there, you don't know what to expect. But, the philosophy I came into this fits the end I believe.

Caminante, no hay camino, se hace el camino andar. Walker, there is no path you make the path walking. Thats what the end of the Camino is. Its up to you to make that path at the end.

I do not regret this trip in the least bit. I learned a lot about myself, others, and in general. It truly been a unbelievable experience. No matter how many times I say that, it won't do it just. The people I've met and talked to are simply awesome in their own way. Everyone has something to give and something to gain while on the Camino.

If anyone reading this or anyone you know has an itch for an adventure, a challenge, or a journey I recommend this wholeheartedly. This provides a break from society and offers both physical, mental, and emotional challenges. However, I think anyone is capable of doing this. While it is a feat, anyone can do it if they put their mind to it. I would be lying if I said there werent times where I thought I wouldn't make it. We all have had these while on the Camino but we rely on our friends who we've met support, the support from home, and the support of whatever you believe in. So I reiterate my recommendation and my sentiment that anyone can do this.

I want to take the time to thank all those who have supported me through this and kept me in their thoughts and prayers. Some days those were needed more than others and in any case I appreciate it.

I will have probably 2-3 more posts left in this thing. Two of those will hopefully be multimedia posts updating people with photos from my trip. The next post will be a "Q&A" with a best/worse type of deal of things on the Camino as well as any questions in general. So, if you have any questions or suggestions shoot them my way via email, Facebook, or the comments section. Help me out with the recap cause I know people have questions.

To anyone stumbling upon this who is doing the Camino or will do the Camino, let me be the first to say, "Buen Camino".

Or as it was said in the old times, "ultreia et suseia".

No comments:

Post a Comment